If you are facing going to court for a divorce or other Family Law matter, you need to be aware that most everything is taken seriously in the court system.
Here are some things to remember that are Not Joking Matters!
1. Notice of Hearing: When you get a notice of a hearing, that's a real obligation. You and your attorney will probably have to be there. If you ignore it, there will be consequences. 2. Deadlines for Discovery: If you get discovery sent to you, there will be due dates for your answers. If you miss the deadlines, you may not be able to introduce or even discuss the evidence later.
3. Child support payments: They must be made on time. If they are late, interest will be added.
4. Pick up and return times for visitation: There's no reason to play games with visitation.
5. The need to update and supplement: As things change, please let your attorney know right away so your pleadings and discovery responses can be updated. Otherwise, you may not be able to get into those issues.
6. Being honest with your attorney: This is absolutely essential. We need to even know the bad details so we can be prepared. The other side will certainly know and use them! 7. Being honest with the court: Since the makes so many discretionary decisions, it's crazy to lie to the Judge and get the Judge mad at you. Plus you could be found in contempt, sent to jail and criminally prosecuted. It's your choice. 8. Don't hide information: It will probably be found and it will make you look bad. Plus, don't forget all the Judge's discretion on issues. 9. Don't hide assets: If you hide assets, they will likely be found and you will almost certainly lose them.
10. Fighting: Remember, the more you fight, the more it costs.