You can't avoid being upset when you're going through a divorce. You can figure out how to deal with the anger and sadness you are experiencing. There are many possible steps you can take, but here are five that should be helpful in any divorce situation.
1. Stay busy. Don't just sit around and mope. Get busy helping your lawyer to get the best deal possible for you. Your help is absolutely necessary and it will help you feel better.
2. Accept help from professionals. You need a lawyer to advise you and you may need a therapist to help work through the emotional side of the transition. You may also need a CPA or financial planner to help you understand your finances and to help you plan your financial future.
3. Tune out advise from friends once you get started. Many times, well-meaning friends can lead you astray by giving advise based on their divorce or what they have heard about someone else's divorce. Every case is different and the others' divorces may have taken place in other states under different laws. It can be very dangerous to make decisions based on amatures' advise. Please rely on your attorney and your financial advisor. [Tune out the internet, too, for similar reasons.]
4. Consider this a business transaction. If you can be business-like in making decisions in your divorce, you will end up much better than if you just react emotionally and let that control you. Let the rational you be in charge and you will appreciate the results.
5. Pay attention to you health. Get plenty of sleep. Exercise. Eat well. Many people going through a divorce stop eating, don't exercise and have trouble sleeping. You need to be healthy and alert to help your attorney as you work through the divorce. Take care of yourself so you can come out in good physical, as well as financial, shape.
Take these steps so you can remain in control of your own life!